Since Growing Veterans’ inception, we’ve had folks from all over the country asking for a Growing Veterans farm near them. Early on, we piloted an Outpost program, in order to learn the feasibility of replicating our model in other areas. The initial pilot had us partnering with pre-existing non-profit farming agencies, to host us as a Growing Veterans Outpost, allowing us to replicate our activities under local veteran leadership. Through this process, we learned a tremendous amount of valuable lessons, helping us identify best practices and strategies for how we can replicate our model in other areas.
As a result of those lessons learned, we have consolidated our Outpost effort and begun to focus on creating an Outpost Training program, which will allow us to host individuals and groups from around the United States and teach them how to incorporate aspects of Growing Veterans’ model in their hometowns. Whether you are a veteran looking to start a farm like Growing Veterans, a non-profit trying to do the same, an existing farm that would like to start engaging with veterans, or somewhere in between; our Outpost Training will teach you everything you need to know in order to incorporate Growing Veterans’ model in your programs.
If you are interested in our Outpost Training, please fill out this survey to help us design the best training possible.
If individuals or groups apply and are approved for our future Outpost Trainings, they will gain access to the following:
- In-person introductory training at the Growing Veterans’ HQ.
- One year access to advanced online training modules.
- Access to monthly conference calls to troubleshoot, brainstorm, and strategize with Growing Veterans staff and your peers.
What’s in it for me?
Our Outpost Training will teach individuals and groups how to successfully incorporate the many pieces that drive a machine like Growing Veterans, including but not limited to:
- Organic Cultivation/Sustainable Agriculture Practices
- Produce Market & Logistics
- Peer Support Practices
- Veteran & Community Engagement/ Outreach
- Volunteer Coordination
- Grant Solicitation/Management
- Social Media & Marketing practices
- Fundraising & Donor Engagement
- Organizational Development and Governance
What’s in it for Growing Veterans?
- We get to share our model with vets and communities around the country; encouraging healthy relationships and food systems everywhere!
- As more and more folks come into the Outpost Network, we will be learning even greater lessons that are specific to communities with unique cultures and different levels of social capital, allowing us to update and enhance our training content, and our associated Outpost Network, as we move forward.
Where do I start?
We are still seeking funding to help develop this training, so please fill out the Outpost Training Survey in order to put yourself on the list, as well as help us identify additional topics for the training, and demonstrate the need to funders!